Thank you to everyone who sent in their questions (we’ve got dozens of ’em!). The contest for free books is now closed (list of winners here), BUT you are welcome to send us additional questions or suggestions, via the form below. — Kevin & Peter
That’s right. We need your help, and in return you get the chance to receive a free book on data mining for fundraising and advancement.
Funny thing though, the book doesn’t exist yet. Yeah. It hasn’t even been written.
Not long ago, fundraising consultant and author Peter Wylie and I signed a contract to co-author a book. We don’t have a title for it, and we don’t know exactly when it’s coming out. But we promise you, it’s coming.
We have some general ideas. For instance, we intend to approach the subject from the point of view of the fundraising practitioner. We’re not going to start with data and statistics — no! We are going to start with the goals, problems and questions that fundraisers and other advancement professionals face every day.
It just so happens that a lot of good answers to those questions are hidden in the data. We want to suggest ways to get those answers out. That’s why this book is going to be different. We’re not going to present abstract concepts and then leave it to you to make the connection to your own fundraising situation. Nope, we’re doing it the other way round: First we present the familiar question, and work outwards from there, pointing to new ways of solving problems and gaining that extra edge with data.
We’ve got a list of possible questions and scenarios, from Annual Giving, phonathon, Major Giving, Planned Giving, and other areas. Some examples:
- Whom should we focus on phoning or mailing to ask for a gift?
- How can we identify the young alumni with the highest level of affinity with our school?
- Which of our donors are most likely to stretch to make a much bigger gift?
- We want to optimize major gift officer portfolios but need some criteria to rank prospects.
- We are contracting with a vendor that promises to generate Planned Giving leads for us through their broad-based calling program. How do we provide them with a pool of only the best prospects?
But we need more and better questions — from you!
OK. The first FIVE people to respond with a question, problem, or scenario that we think has potential for the book will be signed up to receive a free copy, hot off the press (whenever that happens).
Please fill out the form below: